I was using a very thin cord as I wanted a top that would be perfect for winter wear – I like my layers! – and went for contrasting pockets which, okay no-one else is going to see but me, but it’s a bit of fun!
The Lisette Portfolio pattern is quite straightforward to follow, and I loved how the pockets come together!
The main issue that I had was with fitting the yoke to the top – the central section was too big by nearly 5/8″ on each side! After doing lots of double checks of all my seams and re-reading the instructions a few times I resorted to the blogosphere. It turned out that quite a few people had experienced this issue so I chopped off the excess and carried on as normal.
I also made a minor adjustment to the instructions for the button loops – the cord was just too thick to turn inside out so I folded it up like bias binding and then top-stitched. Some small black buttons for the neck-fastening and my top was finally done. Ta-da!
I have to confess that it’s a little snugger than I thought it would be. The ease on the pattern envelope suggested that I would be swimming in it and I took quite a while deliberating which size to actually go for (I went for a size 10 in the end). I suspect this is mostly due to using a cord fabric which is a little bit ‘sticky’ and quite thick.
I did spend quite a lot of time cutting out the excess
And I do love the secret pockets. Perfect for all those tissues that I’ll be needing for the sniffle season! The gathering around the neck is such a clever detail – I’m not sure that I’d ever go for contrasting fabrics as per the pattern suggestion as it’s a bit bold for my own dress sense, but I might well be a bit more adventurous with my fabric choices next time I do this pattern. And this is how I’ll probably wear it, layered up with a scarf!
When I first modelled it for Mr f&f he did admit to thinking that it looked like I was going to be an extra for Merlin! Still I’m going to believe that Merlin is actually Modern and wear it with pride anyway!