Flowers or Windmills?!

Hey everyone! Hope you’ve all had a good week? We had an early half-term so managed a short break away, which was lovely but involved quite a bit of the white stuff!!!!

Whilst away I finished off the binding on a mug rug for a swap that I signed up to a little while ago. I’d had lots of different ideas and found out that my swapee likes red and teal. So….ta-dah! What do you think?

Mug Rug by fabricandflowersuk

My inspiration was flower heads nodding in the breeze on a hill top. I used Lynne’s tutorial to create the curved grassy hill. I used a small piece of red fabric backed with bondaweb and cut it into randomly sized triangular pieces which I placed on my background and ironed into position once I was happy with the placement.

Initially I had been going to free machine quilt around each of the petals but they were so small, and I could see that they were going to fray easily that I decided to zig-zag with small stitches around each of them, before then zig-zagging a flower stem with a wider stitch.

Mug Rug by fabricandflowersuk
I decided to have a bit of fun with the quilting as I’ve started a Craftsy class and am also building myself up to quilting my BOM’s. For the sky I went with some small stippling. For the grass though, you can see I went a little bit crazy! I started off with the idea of McTavishing which then evolved into a leaf-type shape, which I think works quite well? It took quite a lot longer than I was expecting though!

Hopefully my swappee will like it and it suits her taste! I’m pleased with how it’s come out but am not sure if they look more like windmills than flowers (Little Girl when asked said both!)?! And it’s the perfect size for both a cup of tea and some chocolate dinosaurs!!!!!!

It’s a day late but I’m going to link up with Beth’s Let’s Get Acquainted,

See you all soon,

S x

Today’s sky ● bright blue and spring like!

Share:

1. February 19, 2013 / 5:37 pm

I think the mug rug is cute! I could go either way on flowers or windmills. Maybe little yellow buttons in the centers would make it look more like daisies dancing in the wind.

I'm sure your partner will love it! I'm a day late linking up too:)

2. February 19, 2013 / 6:30 pm

Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous! How can you bare to give it away? I love the colours and the swirly quilting (hope that makes sense!), and they look like flowers to me.

3. February 20, 2013 / 4:02 am

Those tiny leaf shapes are crazy. What kind of thread did you use?
    Since they are on a hilltop, your piece remind me of the power-generating windmills I see in the Appalachians whenever I drive home to see family. They are a very cool sight when you round a bend in the highway and there is a row of them stretching as far as the eye can see. Nice!

4. February 20, 2013 / 1:11 pm

I did think about adding buttons, but worried that then it would unbalance a cup of tea?! Thanks for popping by 🙂

5. February 20, 2013 / 1:12 pm

It was quite tough, especially after doing all that quilting…..I'll just have to make another one!!!

6. February 20, 2013 / 1:14 pm

It's only normal bog-standard Gutterman thread (polycotton as well – ssshhhh!). I like the idea of the windmills – sounds very cool! I remember seeing a load when we rounded a corner as we travelled in America and it was an amazing sight! Thanks for popping by x

7. February 20, 2013 / 1:15 pm

Thanks 🙂

8. February 21, 2013 / 10:12 pm

Beautiful mug rug! I'm sure your partner will like it very much. I love all the details that you added with the quilting.

9. February 21, 2013 / 10:27 pm

Thanks Martha – it was good fun to step outside my FMQ comfort-zone!

10. February 22, 2013 / 4:28 am

I love your leaf quilting! My interpretation is flowers on the beach!

11. Anonymous
    February 24, 2013 / 10:31 am

The mug rug is amazing, I love it! I am feeling flowers – they're very swirly and natural. Hope you had a good holiday. Abigail x

12. February 25, 2013 / 3:28 pm

Oooh – I like the idea of that. Makes me wish for summer days! Thanks for visiting x

13. February 25, 2013 / 3:34 pm

Thanks Abigail. We had a good holiday ta, although with three children it wasn't quite as relaxing as holidays pre-children!!!